I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND MUCH SECONDARY MATERIAL FOR GRASSROOTS SOCIAL JUSTICE PROGRAMS...
Secondary material makes up quite a large proportion of the research conducted for a PIP. And with not many secondary sources for this major part of my PIP, this is now a factor I have to consider when it comes to writing my PIP and answering my hypothesis.
Thus far I have found three sources, one courtesy of Ms Waygood and one of her Year 12 students PIPs. Two of these sources are about the use of poetry in projecting social justice causes, and the third is about how purchasing products from social justice campaigns has become mindless buying.
Currently, the plan is that through primary research (I will explain later in a future blog post) I will be able to form my conclusions about the effectiveness of grassroots social justice campaigns.
![]() |
| Conchita Wurst |
One another note, I have now decided to incorporate Eurovision into my PIP. After watching this year's Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna from the comforts of the lounge room, I have come to the epiphany that Eurovision is one giant pro-LGBTQ, anti-war, peace and harmony loving contest. And as as it is a global event, I can look into its effectiveness of causing change. I think it's time to delve deeper into the sixty year history of Eurovision to track any changes it has made to the world (well apart from making ABBA, Celine Dion, and Conchita Wurst [the bearded drag queen played by an openly gay man] famous and bringing them into the wider world!).
Also, I have decided to now close my blog posts with:
Stay PIPing!

Nice. Eurovision absolutely merits a mention, although ensure it is a 'chunk' in your Central, nothing more. I would look at Eurovision as an 'alternative' form of 'doing' social justice at the macro level.
ReplyDeleteE.g. Mid-way through my PIP process, Eurovision arrived. At first it provided a source of distraction and procrastination, but I quickly realised in my observations and consumptions of the televised song contest, that Eurovision is in fact a very effective and alternative example of social justice at the macro level. The show harnesses celebrity influence, popular culture, and cross-cultural interactions in order to 'parade' all manner of causes and ideologies in the social justice field, from LGBTW to cultural harmony and the anti-war movement. BUT... is it more entertaining than it is awareness-raising? I think there's a good opportunity here to look at implicit vs. explicit social justice influences. Whereas a protest or rally explicitly makes its values clear and directly creates conflict in order to generate change, an example like Eurovision 'does' social justice much more implicitly, alongside its buzz and fanfare and fun. Lots of scope here.
Mr Cox